Clemengold Marmalade Relish
A bittersweet ClemenGold savoury marmalade relish that’s addictive, easy to make and tastes great on anything.
Serves: 8-10 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 1 – 1 ½ hour
- 2 C (500 ml) malt vinegar
- 250 g brown sugar
- 1.5 kg ClemenGolds, peeled and pulled apart into segments
- 3 large onions
- 250 g sultanas
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) yellow mustard seeds
- 2 birds eye chillies, finely chopped
- a knob of ginger, finely chopped/microplaned
- sourdough bread | mature cheddar cheese
In a large pot over medium-high heat add the malt vinegar and sugar and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. As the liquid cooks out the marmalade will thicken, and the fruit will reduce. Keep an eye on it when it starts to get thick and keep stirring gently and occasionally to prevent the sugars from catching on the pot.
When you can drag a spoon through the marmalade and the line stays there for a few seconds then it is ready.
Bottle the marmalade into jars that have been sterilised with boiling water and allow to cool before popping them into the fridge.
Pile spoonfuls of relish on freshly made artisanal bread with mature cheddar or your favourite cheese. Yum!