Octopus is a fickle ingredient to work with – incorrectly cooking it can result in a rubbery texture. For this recipe, I use a simple blanching method to ensure a tender bite.
- Set a pot of water to boil.
- Once boiling, remove from the heat and place the defrosted baby octopus into the water for 1 minute exactly.
- Remove the octopus from the water and plunge into an ice bath.
- Drain the octopus and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chopped garlic, chillies, herbs and lemon.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour in the olive oil.
- Stir the marinade and add in the blanched octopus, coating it in the infused olive oil.
- Leave the octopus to marinate for an hour.
- Thread the baby octopuses on to metal skewers and braai over medium coals for 3-4 minutes per side. The octopuses should be lightly browned, even a little blackened.
- While the octopuses are braaing, squeeze over a little extra lemon juice.
- Serve the baby octopus with a creamy tzatziki sauce and lots of crusty bread for mopping up the leftover marinade.