Makes 12 cigars
Created by Hein Stirred
1 clove garlic, crushed
5 ml (1 tsp.) fresh ginger, grated
oil for frying
4 duck leg portions, roasted and shredded (about 350 g shredded meat)
zest of 1 ClemenGold, finely grated
3 phyllo pastry sheets
40 g butter, melted
1 ClemenGold, peeled and roughly chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp.) hoisin sauce
15 ml (1 tbsp.) soya sauce
10 ml (2 tsp.) sesame oil
5 ml (1 tsp.) chilli sauce, or more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Fry the onion, garlic and ginger until soft.
- Mix in the shredded meat and zest, season to taste and set aside.
- Roll out a sheet of phyllo pastry on a work surface and cut in half lengthways, and each half again, to make four rectangles.
- Cover the other two phyllo sheets with a wet tea towel so they will not dry out before use.
- Brush the phyllo sheet with melted butter.
- Spread the meat filling close to one edge of each pastry rectangle; fold the pastry over to enclose the edges of the filling and roll the pastry into cigars.
- Butter the seam, seal and place seam side down on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Repeat with the rest of the phyllo sheets until you have 12 cigars.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180˚C for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients of the dipping sauce and serve.