by Heleen Meyer
Unlike other citrus, ClemenGold does not become bitter when roasted. It adds a wonderful flavour to this dish and the sweetness of the fruit also combines perfectly with Chinese five-spice powder.
45 ml (3 tbsp.) olive or avocado oil
160 ml (⅔ cup) ClemenGold juice
60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
80 ml (⅓ cup) rooibos tea
20 ml (4 tsp.) Chinese five-spice powder
5 ml (1 tsp.) cumin seeds
salt and pepper
8 chicken thighs, excess fat removed
4 medium sweet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
6 leeks, cut diagonally into thick slices
2-3 ClemenGold with rind, cut into thick slices
• Preheat the oven to 180°C.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, ClemenGold juice, lemon juice, rooibos tea, Chinese five-spice powder and cumin seeds and season with salt and pepper.
• Add the chicken, sweet potatoes and leeks and mix to coat with the oil mixture.
• Transfer to a large oven dish, arrange the ClemenGold slices between the chicken and vegetables, and pour the oil mixture over.
• Cover with aluminium foil and bake in an oven preheated to 180˚C for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 25 minutes, until the chicken and sweet potatoes are golden brown and cooked through.
• Serve as is, or with couscous or brown basmati rice.
1. For variation, you can replace the sweet potatoes with butternut or aubergine.
2. Fresh herbs like mint and Italian parsley are delicious in this dish.