Created by Heleen Meyer
This is a beautiful combination of sweet ClemenGold with red wine and spices. Add slices of fresh ClemenGold with lots of ice and mint to make the perfect, refreshing drink on a warm, summer evening.
500 ml (2 cups) dry red wine
250 ml (1 cup) port or muscadel
500 ml (2 cups) fresh ClemenGold juice
4 thick strips ClemenGold rind, peeled with a vegetable peeler
2 cinnamon sticks
4 whole cloves
4 cardamom pods, crushed open
4 whole allspice berries
30-45 ml (2-3 tbsp.) soft brown sugar
ice, fresh mint leaves and extra ClemenGold slices to serve
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan on medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to just below boiling point and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes. Take care not to boil too rapidly, since it may become bitter.
- Remove from the heat and allow the liquid to cool.
- Serve with lots of ice, mint and extra slices of ClemenGold.
- The mixture can be made in advance, since the flavour from the spices will develop and become more prominent.
- In winter, serve like glühwein in heated glasses with extra slices of ClemenGold.
- If preferred, dilute the sangria by adding 500 ml (2 cups) of soda water or ginger ale or add vodka, gin or rum to taste.
- For a gingery taste, add a few slices of fresh ginger to the wine mixture and simmer as above.