Created by Sam Taylor
A rich, dark chocolate tart topped with spiced ClemenGold
175 g cake flour
50 g dark cocoa powder
50 g icing sugar
140 g cold butter
3 egg yolks
Chocolate pastry cream
750 ml milk
30 g dark cocoa powder
30 g cake flour
30 g corn flour
180 g white sugar
2 egg yolks
375 ml water
250 ml (1 cup) white sugar
4 green cardamom pods
3 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and icing sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Cut the cold butter into even-sized blocks and add to the flour mixture. Combine the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the egg yolks and continue to beat until the mixture pulls together into stiff dough.
- Divide the dough into two even-sized balls. Flatten and wrap in clingfilm.
- Chill the pastry in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry evenly and thinly to fit a baking pan of about 23 cm in diameter or 34 cm long.
- Gently ease the dough into the sides of the pan and use a knife to remove the overhanging pastry.
- Press the pastry into the edges and up the sides of the pan.
- Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork.
- Rest the pastry in the refrigerator for a further 30 minutes.
- Line the inside of the pastry with baking paper and weigh down with baking beans.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 190˚C for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and bake for about 5 minutes until the pastry is crisp and baked through.
Chocolate pastry cream
- Place the milk in a medium-sized saucepan and heat to just boiling.
- In a large bowl, place the cocoa powder, cake flour, corn flour, sugar, eggs and egg yolks and whisk well to form a paste.
- Pour the hot milk over the egg mixture and whisk well to mix into custard.
- Strain the custard back into the saucepan and whisk continuously on medium heat until thickened.
- Remove the custard to a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm to avoid the custard forming a skin and leave to cool.
- Place the water and the sugar into a small saucepan and bring to the boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the cardamom pods, star anise and cinnamon stick to the hot syrup.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to allow the flavours of the spices to steep through the syrup.
- Remove the ClemenGold rind with a sharp knife and cut the fruit into even slices.
- Add the ClemenGold slices to the spiced syrup and macerate for 1 hour before using.
Spread the chocolate pastry cream into the baked chocolate pastry base.
Top with the macerated ClemenGold slices.