by Heleen Meyer
Makes 200 ml
This is a truly versatile golden and syrupy reduction that can be used to complement sweet or savoury dishes.
rind of 2 ClemenGold, cut into thick strips – see tip
360 ml ClemenGold juice
180 ml (¾ cup) soft brown sugar
125 ml (½ cup) strong rooibos tea
• Cut the thick strips of ClemenGold rind with a sharp knife into thinner strips and set aside.
• Place the ClemenGold juice, sugar and rooibos tea in a wide-based pan over medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
• Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 7 minutes.
• Add the ClemenGold rind and simmer for another 7-10 minutes, until syrupy. Take care not to reduce the liquid too far, since it will become very sticky.
• To test if the reduction is ready, spoon a drop onto a cold saucer. Allow to cool and pull your finger through the drop – if it stays separated and feels a little sticky, it is ready. If it runs back, simmer for another minute or two and test again.
• Let it cool and use the reduction in sweet or savoury dishes – see tips.
1. Use a vegetable peeler to cut the thick strips of ClemenGold rind. Not only is it easier than cutting with a knife, but this method will also ensure that you do not get any white pith on the rind.
2. This reduction is delicious with dairy products – serve it on cheese like camembert or brie, with ice-cream or as part of a dessert with fresh ClemenGold, chopped nuts and Greek yoghurt or crème fraiche.
3. Drizzle it over sweet potatoes or butternut when roasting in the oven, adding a little olive oil or white wine for extra liquid.
4. Use it to glaze pork ribs or chicken.
5. Add a little water to make a thirst quencher.
6. Make a large batch when ClemenGold is in season, pour it into sterilised glass bottles and tie with ribbons and gift tags – a lovely gift from you kitchen!