by Sam Linsell
Makes 15 mini cakes
225 g butter at room temperature
225 g castor sugar
4 large eggs at room temperature
zest of 2 small ClemenGold, finely grated
225 g cake flour
10 ml (2 tsp.) baking powder
2.5-5 ml (½-1 tsp.) brown sugar for each cake
4-5 ClemenGold, peeled and cut into 15 slices – each about 1 cm thick
125 ml (½ cup) ClemenGold juice
125 ml (½ cup) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream the butter and castor sugar until pale and fluffy. You can do this by hand, but preferably with an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to mix in completely before each addition; then stir in the ClemenGold zest.
- Sift the flour and baking powder onto the batter and fold in gently until combined.
- Sprinkle a little brown sugar into each cavity of a greased 15-cup muffin pan and place a slice of ClemenGold onto every sugar layer.
- Measure out the batter evenly with an ice-cream scoop and spoon it over the ClemenGold slices, filling each cup about ¾ full.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180˚C for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Make the syrup by adding the ClemenGold juice and sugar to a small saucepan, simmering gently until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid starts to thicken.
- Use a spatula to gently loosen the baked cakes from the muffin cups and tip onto a cooling rack.
- Pour the hot ClemenGold syrup over the cakes and let it soak in.
- Serve as is, or with a dollop of fresh cream.